A communication-based routine should focus more on experiences, bonding, and the language that will be infused. The outcome is not the focus. The focus is on language, bonding, and building concepts around how things work in the world.
Things to consider when building communication-based routines:
- Establish a repetitive structure for conversations.
- Maintain clearly defined roles for initiating and responding.
- Include multiple turns and practice.
- Establish predictable steps for maintaining interaction.
- Infuse as much communication as possible.
- Consider your students’ likes and dislikes.
- Consider your likes and dislikes.
- Make it fun for everyone involved!
- Make it functional!
- Does this routine move your student closer to being independent?